Monday 17 September 2012

Are cyclists above the law?

This afternoon I was walking east towards the pedestrian crossing on Romsey Road, Eastleigh, when all of a sudden I heard a voice behind my right shoulder:  "Excuse me, mi:e."  I nearly jumped out of my skin: it was a cyclist trying to ride past me on the narrow pavement.  I stepped out of the way and then another cyclist followed him at a fairly rapid pace, making me feel really vulnerable.  This is where I was.  You can see that the cycle way starts after the crossing.
This is the beginning of Romsey Road:
As you can see, there's no cycleway here either and the law is quite clear:


Rules for cyclists (59-82)

64

You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.
[Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129]

They ignore traffic lights, frequently don't have lights at night and frighten - and perhaps injure - pedestrians.
So I have contacted Hampshire County Council and the police and intend to start a campaign to make cyclists comply with the law.

2 comments:

  1. It is hard. It isnt right what they do by cycling on the pavement, not stopping for red lights, no helmets, no lights and so on. However, car drivers are not exactly helping the situation by ignoring their safety and driving too close, too fast etc. 2 wrongs dont make a right but i'm guessing rather vent their fury at car drivers, they simply get on the pavement and create another problem.

    ReplyDelete