Thursday 9 January 2014

Accident Scam Latest



This report appeared in the Portsmouth News on Tuesday 9th January. Note the inaccuracies.

Pensioner warns motorists after scam by teenagers



SCENE The junction of Telephone Road and Talbot Road in Southsea
SCENE The junction of Telephone Road and Talbot Road in Southsea
  • by Ellie Pilmoor


A PENSIONER is warning other motorists after he was scammed by a group of teenagers.

Michael Read was tricked into thinking he had hit a pedestrian. And when he got out of his car to check on the youngster, the 72-year-old had his car ignition key and mobile phone stolen.
Mr Read was approaching the junction of Telephone Road and Talbot Road in Southsea when he was conned.
The former English teacher said: ‘I was driving in Southsea when I felt my car wheels run over an object.
‘At the same time, I heard shouting from three young people who were standing near my car. One was shouting that I had run over his ankle and broken it.’
Fearing the worst, Mr Read got out of his car to check on the boy who was shouting that he owed him money.
He added: ‘ I wanted to have a look at the lad’s ankle but they wouldn’t let me.
‘I also went to check on the damage to my car but they barred my view. At this point, one of them ran round to the driver’s door, opened it and took my ignition key.
‘I tried to get it back but they were still screaming at me about wanting compensation. At this point, all I was thinking was “please, someone come along”.’
Luckily for Mr Read, a lady walked past and helped him get his key back.
He said: ‘By now, I thought it would be best to call the police. I explained to them that since I had injured one of them, the police had to be involved.
‘But that was a big mistake. As I got my phone out, one of them grabbed it and all three, including the one who said I had broken his ankle, ran off with their bikes.’
The lady phoned the police and attempts have now been made to identify the thieves.
A spokesman for Hampshire Constabulary, said: ‘Police were phoned to a report of teenagers behaving aggressively towards a man, aged in his 70s, who had parked his car.
‘A mobile phone belonging to the man was reported to have been stolen by one of the teenagers. Police have conducted enquiries to identify the teenagers.’
Anyone with information about the incident, which happened on Friday, December 13, can call 101 and quote number 44130 468266.
Mr Read added: ‘I have learnt the best thing to do is to stay in your car, lock your doors and call the police.
‘In hindsight I should never have got out of the car.’


I phoned the police today as they have never taken a full statement from me and I am now awaiting contact from the officer on the case.  I am rather disappointed - yet not at all surprised - at the inaccuracies in the press report.  They have completely missed the point that the youths tried to make it appear as though I had run over one of them on his bike.


These four comments about the incident appeared on the Portsmouth News website:

Gangs of youths on bikes frequently roam this area, often after dark with no lights, intimidating other road users.
 Some ride three abreast swerving from side to side, stopping cars passing and shouting abuse at the drivers. How long before one of these idiots is seriously injured due to their own stupidity. When this does happen his mates will probably blame the car driver.
 Good advice from Mr. Read ,stay in your car, lock your doors and call the police.

I can imagine this incident would be quite distressing for many people to have happen to them and hope these youngsters are caught very quickly and punished suitably .

Should have just reversed over the little scroat to make sure he was run over... complete oxygen wasters! Karma will prevail!

I bet their parents are so proud of those darling, brave teenagers. The guts it must have taken for them to fool a 72 year old is nothing short of admirable. I have never advocated violence, but I'd just love them to try it on with me, and see if they still think they're so clever.

No comments:

Post a Comment