Monday 6 January 2014

Uncollected Rubbish

We seem to have a major problem with rubbish over Christmas and the New Year and it seems to be quite impossible to speak to anyone in the right department of Eastleigh Borough Council.  This is obviously because they are inundated with phone calls about the issue.

I have sent the following e-mail to our local Lib-Dem councillor:

Dear Pam

By now you have probably realised that there is a major problem of uncollected bins over the holiday period in Oakmount, Chandler's Ford.

Our normal collection day is Thursday.  However, holidays over Christmas and the New Year necessitated a change to Saturday 28th December and Saturday 4th January.   When they weren’t collected on the 28th some of us left them out to be collected on the Monday – which they were.

 I then telephoned the council, on Monday 30th December, and asked what would happen the following week.  The girl assured me quite categorically that they would be collected last Saturday – 4th January – although I doubted that this would be possible.  She didn’t see that there was a problem at all except for a few “missed bins”.

 They weren’t collected last Saturday and they haven’t been collected today, so I phoned the Council again and was pleased to note that there is now a special extension for uncollected bins.  However, I was put through to an overflow number and the lady was unable to tell me anything, except to say that she was e-mailing the appropriate department to explain the problem.

 There are three issues:
1.       When will our bins be emptied?
2.       Since the refuse collection - black bins -  is now so far behind, what will happen about the green bin collection on Thursday 9th January?
3.       As the council knows there is a major issue regarding bin collection, why hasn’t a statement been put out to the local media? 

 I have made some inquiries into bin collection and note that it is most haphazard at the best of times:
·         Crews change regularly.
·         It can be at any time between 7.30am and 1.30pm

 I look forward to hearing from you.

 I have no idea whether the problem is the weather or some other reason but, as I said in my e-mail, and as you can see from earlier blogs, the waste collection is haphazard anyway.  The Echo are now aware that there's a problem
 
Has your waste been collected?



No comments:

Post a Comment